Medical applications require unique ESD protection solutions.
- ICs are inserted in novel locations (on the body, inside the body)
- Replacement of damaged parts is hard or impossible
- Higher ESD robustness required for some cases
- Sensors, actuators frequently require higher voltages
- Wireless connections need low-cap ESD protection
- Many applications need low-power electronics
Sofics has proven technology for ESD protection of medical applications
Our customers have created amazing products like hearing aids and implanted hearing systems
Contact us to discuss ESD protection for your medical application.
- Proven technology
- Sofics ESD technology has been included in several mass-produced IC designs for medical applications. Silicon proven solutions are available across all process nodes (0.35um CMOS to 5nm FinFET, SOI, BCD, BiCMOS) on different foundries
- Broad solution spectrum
- Sofics has developed flexible ESD solutions that can be customized for every type of interface. The clamps are used in Analog IO's and can be used to protect digital IO's. The technology is easily customized to fit various requirements on ESD robustness, leakage, capacitance, voltage rating...
- Beyond standard specifications
- Sofics creates ESD clamps with low parasitic capacitance for wireless interfaces. Some applications require much higher ESD robustness like 8kV HBM. Sofics ESD protection clamps have very low stand-by leakage and if needed can tolerate a higher voltage, beyond the standard GPIO limits.
Sofics can support your next medical application
- Wireless interfaces
- Sofics IP was used in Bluetooth, NFC, indoor positioning and sensor networks. The wireless interfaces need low-leakage ESD protection for LNA inputs with high Q factor. They also need ESD clamps with low parasitic capacitance. Sofics clamps provide standard ESD robustness and do not require a resistance in the signal path. ESD cells have been characterized up to 20 GHz.
- Battery powered applications
- Customers have integrated Sofics ESD in systems running for 10-years on 1 coin battery. The leakage of our ESD cells is 100x lower compared to conventional approach. Huge improvements can be made in stand-by, sleep, operational modes and during power-cycles. Sofics has solutions available for interfaces and rail clamps.
- Beyond standard voltage levels
- Our IP was used for sensor interfaces, battery connections and more. We have delivered solutions for high voltage tolerance (5V and higher) and also protected interfaces based on thin oxide transistors (1V and lower) thanks to a flexible but deterministic solution set.
- Harsh environments
- Our customers design devices that are used in consumer environments that require much higher ESD robustness. For instance, our ESD clamps were scaled beyond 5kV HBM for a 3Gbps video interface system.